In a result that hands the far-right party an international platform, Nick Griffin, the BNP leader, clinched a seat in the North West and the party also gained a MEP in Yorkshire and the Humber.And when I say "far-right wing nationalists" I mean "neo-Nazi skinhead racist assholes in nice suits." Imagine a couple of White Power dudes getting elected to the House here in the US. That's where the UK is right now. The Pretty Hate Machine is on the loose, and not just in the US.
The party had capitalised on the expenses furore during the election campaign but mainly benefited from the Labour meltdown, winning key votes from its traditional strongholds.
In the North West, Mr Griffin gained the eighth MEP seat, although his party gained fewer votes than in the 2004 election. Labour lost 240,000 disaffected voters. In Yorkshire the BNP won almost 10 per cent of the vote, most of it from Labour.
The result sent shockwaves through the mainstream parties, with the BNP undoubtedly poised to use its win to claim that it has political legitimacy.
Andy Burnham, the Health Secretary, described the win as a “sad moment in British politics”. Both Gordon Brown and David Cameron have been outspoken recently about the BNP.
Monday, June 8, 2009
On the heels of a UK government scandal involving Ministers charging millions in pounds to government expense accounts and calls for PM Gordon Brown to resign, British elections have revealed a whole new problem: ultra far-right nationalists from the British National Party have won a couple seats in Parliament.
Another year older, but the world keeps getting more stupid. Go fig.
- Two American journalists covering North Korea have been sentenced to 12 years hard labor for spying.
- Five American contractors arrested in Iraq for murder could be the first to be tried under Iraqi laws.
- California is considering releasing immigrant inmates as part of its massive budget cuts.
- President Obama has announced recovery projects aimed at creating 600,000 jobs.
- The guys behind Mystery Science Theater 3000 have a new project called RiffTrax.