Well, we're getting back into the swing of things here at ZVTS, and that means another batch of wacky predictions for the year ahead. Here we go:
1) The Dems will keep the Senate, the GOP will keep the House in November. Call me an optimist, or call me crazy, but the GOP is going to find a way to overplay their Obamacare hand, and I think it's going to come a lot sooner than anyone thinks with the debt ceiling negotiations and threats to completely shut down the Senate. America will soon be reminded why the congressional GOP's approval rating is in the low 20's.
2) Google Glass will be delayed until 2015, or later. Google Glass is supposed to be out in 2014, but with all the noise about privacy concerns in our super-connected world, I think Google is going to find releasing a product as invasive as Glass to be a real problem right now. As such, I think they'll go back to the drawing board.
3) Alison Lundergan Grimes would beat Mitch McConnell to be the next Senator from KY. And she may be the only bright spot for the Dems in 2014. People are badly underestimating just how much people here hate Mitch McConnell. If the Clintons come in to back Alison, she'll win. Should Matt Bevin beat Mitch in the primary however, things are going to be really interesting.
4) And speaking of the Clintons, Hillary won't announce any run for 2016...at least not in 2014. She's too cagey and knows part of the reason she lost to Obama in 2008 was because of her attitutde of inevitability and the fact that familiarity bred more than a little contempt. She'll keep a low profile until 2015, minimum. Besides, look how far Chris Christie has gotten by not announcing his 2016 plans yet.
5) Marvel will continue their movie hot streak in 2014 with Amazing Spider-Man 2, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and Guardians of the Galaxy. I predict all three movies will make $200 million domestically.
6) The Supreme Court will hear oral arguments on same-sex marriage later in 2014, but the decision won't come until 2015. And it's going to be a hell of a decision, with the court having to face the legality of same-sex marriage in all 50 states. I fully expect a Loving v.Virginia-level event.
7) No impeachment measures in 2014, but 2015 will be a different story. At some point, the GOP will have to play the impeachment card against President Obama, especially if #1 up there becomes true. It's all they will have left.
8) Obamacare will be around through 2014 and beyond. Sorry Republicans, it's not getting repealed in 2014 or, well, ever. Deal with it.
9) The Sochi Winter Olympics will be a disaster. The whole world will get a close up view of Putin's Russia in February for two weeks, and it's not going to be pretty. It will make Atlanta 1996 look like the most competent games ever put on.
10) ZVTS will make it to 2015. I'm back from vacation starting tomorrow, and back in the ball game. We'll be around for another year.
We'll check back in a year to see how I did. Here's hoping all my readers have a happy and prosperous 2014, and as always, thanks for being here.