Thursday, September 11, 2008

My 9/11 Story

I don't like talking about it much, but I suppose this being a new political blog, I have to recount the story at least once.

I was living in a suburb of Minneapolis at the time, working IT for a company there. I worked the West Coast shift, so before I went into work I was on the net and watching TV. I saw a healthy chunk of what was going on live, how the first plane was an accident, and then the reports from the Pentagon rolled in, and then the second plane hit.

Then the towers went down.

I remember my father was supposed to be flying up to see me that weekend. That Tuesday changed a lot for me, the place I worked laid off myself and quite a few others as business sharply slowed, and I ended up looking around for a job for six months before moving back to NC. Things were bad then.

Ironically I almost ended up in the mortgage refi business, but even then I thought it was a scam and I didn't make it past the first month. Turns out I was right. Took me a while to get back into IT, going back to school got me a good job, and it was a good time for it.

I eventually ended up in Cincy 2 years ago, rest is history.

Anyone else have a story from September 2001?

1 comment:

StarStorm said...

My 9/11 story. Full of excitement.

Monroe, MI:
My family was currently holed up in a motel as our home burned down some months ago, and we were looking for a place to live while it was being rebuilt.

I was on the computer at the time (as I usually am) when my mother commented about it. I turned, looked, and thought "Oh man, someone's going to get fucked for this one".

Then I went back to what I was doing.

To be fully honest, my life hasn't really changed significantly. I've always looked on it as a disaster like a hurricane or earthquake.

Related Posts with Thumbnails