Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Headlines We Don't Want To See

They surely include stuff like "Hidden Pension Fiasco May Foment Another $1 Trillion Bailout".
The misleading numbers posted by retirement fund administrators help mask this reality: Public pensions in the U.S. had total liabilities of $2.9 trillion as of Dec. 16, according to the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College. Their total assets are about 30 percent less than that, at $2 trillion.

With stock market losses this year, public pensions in the U.S. are now underfunded by more than $1 trillion.

I'm gonna find me an accountant and hit them. Really. I am.

2 comments:

StarStorm said...

Is it bad of me to say that I'm seriously considering accounting as a career path now?

Zandar said...

Well no, but frankly the post-Enron practice of institutionalized lying by firms about their books really does have to stop.

Related Posts with Thumbnails