Friday, March 20, 2009

A Strong Role Model

Michelle Obama visiting a high school and on being a strong, female role model:
The students were very interested in Mrs. Obama's life and lifestyle.

A student asked her who does her makeup. She said, "I do my own makeup," except for special occasions, according to the pool report.

The pool report continued, "She was asked about her clothes. She made a kind of "what, this old thing?" gesture. "This is just a little jacket and pants," she said. Of course, she looked fabulous. She was dressed in a black ensemble - black jacket, with skinny black belt, big black flower up to one side. Black skinny pants. Black patent flats. Hair down."

".......She told the kids, don't worry about what your friends say, or teachers who don't think you can do something. "Work hard, do your best."

She said: "I wanted an A, I wanted to be the person who had the right answers. People said, you talk like a white girl - I don't know what that means."

Having been adopted and having been informed in high school, college, and most of my life of being the whitest brotha in the room, I can relate to this.

This is the kind of conversation Americans need to be hearing in 2009.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails