Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Marriage Maine Stream

Maine becomes the fifth state to allow gay marriage.
Maine's Gov. John Baldacci signed a bill into law allowing same-sex marriage in his state. Maine becomes the fifth state to do so. The other four: Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts and Vermont.

"In the past, I opposed gay marriage while supporting the idea of civil unions," Baldacci said in a statement. "I have come to believe that this is a question of fairness and of equal protection under the law, and that a civil union is not equal to civil marriage."

There is serious legislative activity to approve gay marriage in DC (where last night the city council voted to recognize same-sex marriages performed elsewhere), New Jersey, New Hampshire and New York.

Also, in California, there’s a state Supreme Court challenge to Prop. 8.

As we wrote this morning, it's example #457 that we’re long removed from 2004.

And as more younger Americans continue to become involved politically, we're seeing more and more change towards equality. To me it's always been "Why go out of your way to outlaw it out of spite and hatred?"

Marry someone you love. Seems simple to me. When I was born, there were still states where my biological parents would not have been allowed to marry. That's stunning to me.

Go Maine.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails