Friday, August 21, 2009

A Suddenly Convenient Argument

The Bachmanniac is making a very familiar argument against Obamacare.
Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN), who is a a staunch champion of the religious right and an opponent of President Obama on all things under the sun, has a new line against the Democrats on health care: Keep the government off my body!

Bachmann appeared on Sean Hannity's radio show on Tuesday, and check out what she said, at the 5:35 mark.

"That's why people need to continue to go to the town halls, continue to melt the phone lines of their liberal members of Congress," said Bachmann, "and let them know, under no certain circumstances will I give the government control over my body and my health care decisions."

Well then, I'll let Planned Parenthood, NOW, and women's rights groups know that Republicans lick Bachmann have magically gotten onto the pro-choice bandwagon. I'm sure that'll be news to them, but that seems a pretty clear argument and a rather unequivocal statement to me.

It's worth repeating that there's nothing in any of the health care bills before Congress that qualifies even remotely as a forced government takeover of American's health choices, but then again logic, honesty or integrity aren't exactly your average Wingnut's strong points.

5 comments:

Servius said...

I can see this argument goes right over your head.

StarStorm said...

Actually no, Servius, it's only because you're so blind that you think it has.

Servius said...

Yes, I'm blind. I see that now.

It's Republicans who are for choice in education, employment, health care, self defense, etc.

Of course we're against the choice to kill your children along with the murder of others and robbing banks.

But hey. Just a technicality I suppose.

Zandar said...

Sorry Serv. You can't use the argument that the "government has no business being involved in health care" and still say the government has the right to step in and force women to have children.

You lose on the hypocrisy factor alone.

Servius said...

I didn't say a woman should be forced to conceive nor that birth control measures should be prohibited. And this has nothing to do with how we receive medical services.

I don't really feel like debating abortion at the moment. The issue comes down to, "When does life begin?"

From the moment of conception, the baby has all the hallmarks of life from our science text books and all the DNA it will have in 50 years. All the baby has to do is grow up.

Any other argument is moot.

Related Posts with Thumbnails