Friday, September 18, 2009

Another Snowe Job In The Works?

Maine Republican Sen. Olympia Snowe is once again bemoaning the Republican Party that has changed underneath her, as TPMDC reports.
"I've always been a Republican for the traditional principles that have been associated with the Republican party since I became a Republican, when I registered to vote. And that is limited government, individual opportunities, fiscal responsibility, and a strong national defense. So I think those principles have always been a part of the Republican party heritage. And I believe that I reflect those views and I haven't changed as a Republican. I think more that my party has changed.




So what's Snowe's game here? Is she playing the Republicans by threatening to pull an Arlen Specter, or is she playing the Democrats reminding them just how important being the 60th vote is? It may all be a moot point since Massachusetts is moving to allow Gov. Deval Patrick to name a replacement for Ted Kennedy, and I'm betting very strongly that the events in the Bay State have put a clock on the game of Deal or No Deal she's playing with Obama. If that 60th Democratic vote to break a filibuster is appointed before Snowe gets her deal, the game's over.

So, naturally, she's getting hers. She saw the deal that Arlen Specter got, and she's making her play. Can't blame her.

The question is how much damage will a deal to get Snowe on board do to Obamacare? How much will the Democrats give up for one vote?

2 comments:

Servius said...

You're still losing.

http://ow.ly/pZOS

wdstarr said...

How much will the Democrats give up for one vote?

Where "Democrats" means Reid and Obama? Everything, of course, and they'll get nothing for it. Same as with Specter.

Related Posts with Thumbnails