Thursday, March 18, 2010

Better Than Zero

Steve M. perfectly sums up my thoughts on the Democrats and HCR.
After a while last year I started to wonder whether comprehensive health care reform would have been a poltical third rail for even a competent party -- but I wanted to see more accomplishments than this. I wanted some sort of real jobs legislation and some sort of real financial reform. I at least wanted Democrats to fight for bills in those areas that had teeth. I'm not on board with HCR now because the Democrats have followed a brilliant strategy. I'm on board with HCR as it is because achieving it might mean my party isn't completely hapless.
And really, my main reason is all that plus " A 59% majority has to be good for something, dammit."

Seriously, that's the best you can say about this.  There's no public option, there's not going to be a public option, the Dems have completely failed to defend the plan on its merits because the merits are simply "it's better than the status quo and not by a hell of a lot, either" and the Republicans completely controlled the narrative from day one thanks to the Village they've trained since 1994.

In the end, it's looking like this is going to pass.

Then the REAL battle begins.  Isn't that going to be fun?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails