Tuesday, August 10, 2010

King Of Wishful Thinking

From Waffles in the comments (yes, even Waffles can contribute at times, people)  this story about Dr. Martin Luther King's niece Alveda and her horrendous stance on gay marriage is something I indeed missed and it needs to be taken apart.

Alveda King, the niece of Martin Luther King Jr. and a conservative activist, spoke at a sparsely attended National Organization for Marriage rally in Atlanta, Ga. this weekend about the scourge of gay marriage.
"It is statistically proven that the strongest institution that guarantees procreation and continuity of the generations is marriage between one man and one woman," King said.
"I don't know about you, but I'm not ready to be extinct, and none of us wants to be. So we don't want genocide," she said. "We don't want to destroy the sacred institution of marriage."
She went on: "Marriage between one man and one woman remains the guard against human extinction." 
Hey, I don't have any children.  Does that mean I'm contributing to human extinction as well?   Doesn't this mean you should be going after single people (who make up a much large percentage of the population than gay people do)?

I'm really not sure what to say about it.  Homosexuality is still a massive taboo in minority cultures, especially African-American and Latino communities in the south.  It absolutely floors me that there are people who have fought racism all their lives and speak of equality and justice for all Americans, and then turn out to be some of the most bigoted people on Earth when it comes to gays and lesbians.

Floors me.  There's no excuse for this.  Dr. King would be appalled.

2 comments:

StarStorm said...

Yeah, I've heard of her, it's a little depressing, considering who she is and what that implies with the civil rights movement.

One is grateful for Pam Spaulding, among others.

I'd like to think Dr. King would have supported gay marriage himself, honestly.

In Ur Blog Eatin Waffles (Accept no fail imitations) said...

Yea I couldn't believe it when I read it, what's sad is she would be getting no attention if it weren't for the fact that her bloodline is kind of a big part of American history.

Related Posts with Thumbnails