Thursday, September 16, 2010

Well, She Lost The Lawful Neutral Vote

The similarities between Christine O'Donnell and George W. Bush are interesting.  Both are reformed, born-again college party kids who found religion after college...

But Christine O'Donnell didn't grow up in a strict religious household. For her, the turning point came in college.

While at Fairleigh Dickinson University, she told the Delaware News Journal in April 2004, she did things she now regrets. As the News Journal put it, those things were "drinking too much and having sex with guys with whom there wasn't a strong emotional connection."

She was a junior, she said in another profile published in 2006, when a friend "asked me if I knew how an abortion was performed ... She showed me the medical journals, and it was frightening."

...and both have this obnoxious binary world view.

"There's only truth and not truth," she said. "You're either very good or evil. I went back to my dorm and asked myself what I was."

O'Donnell decided then to drop her acting ambitions (she was a theater major). She became an evangelical Christian, a departure from her relatively lax Catholic upbringing. She joined the College Republicans and campaigned for the Bush-Quayle ticket. 

Look, it's one thing to reform your life and find religion.  We all deserve the chance to find our own answers to life's many questions.  What I object to is somebody using that as a basis for making laws that govern the other 310 million of us.  If she thinks that, fine.  If she's basing legislation on that, then there's a real problem.  Didn't eight years of Bush's binary world view teach us that?

1 comment:

In Ur Blog Eatin Waffles (Accept no fail imitations) said...

"I am the Democratic Party's candidate for president, who happens also to be a Catholic. I do not speak for my church on public matters, and the church does not speak for me."

Seems appropriate.

Whats sad is, how bad must this administration be that people are now looking at the likes of Ron and Rand Paul going "You know what, this makes sense"

Related Posts with Thumbnails