Tuesday, January 11, 2011

From Dancing With The Stars To Serving Behind Bars

Former GOP House majority leader Tom "The Hammer" DeLay will be getting some new substandard federal housing soon.

Judge Pat Priest gave DeLay three years on charges that he conspired to launder corporate money for use in political races. On a separate money laundering charge, the former Speaker was sentenced to five years, but that sentence was suspended in favor of 10 years of probation.

The judge said that he agreed with the jury's guilty verdict, and that there is no higher principle than those who write the laws should also follow it.

DeLay was immediately taken into custody, but was expected to be released after posting appeals bond.

The Statesman reported that the judge cleared the courtroom so that an unrepentant DeLay could speak.
"I fought the fight. I ran the race. I kept the faith," he reportedly said.

I believe that goes "I fought the fight, I ran the race, I kept the faith, I lost the case."

Of course, DeLay will be out on appeal soon and probably won't be actually serving his time anytime in the near future.  Men like DeLay simply don't go to jail, you see.

Convicted felon has a nice ring to it however.

1 comment:

Silver Owl said...

Given that DeLay is now a convicted felon, I wonder what his stance was in 1997 when Texas changed their laws to reinstate the voting rights of felons after they have completed their sentence and probation.

There will be some states where he can never live in and be able to vote because he is a convicted felon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails