Friday, March 18, 2011

Birthers Get A Trump Card

It shows you how utterly ridiculous Republicans are that anyone even remotely considered to be making a run at Obama's job in 2012 has bow and scrape to the Republican birther majority, even somebody who's a long-shot like Donald Trump.

In an interview with ABC News' Ashleigh Banfield that aired Thursday, Trump said he had some doubts that President Barack Obama was a U.S. citizen.

"Everybody that even gives any hint of being a birther -- a word you didn't use -- even a little bit of a hint like 'gee, you know, maybe, just maybe this much of chance,' they label them as an idiot," he told Banfield.

"Let me tell you, I'm a really smart guy," Trump continued. "I was a really good student at the best school in the country. The reason I have a little doubt -- just a little -- is because he grew up and nobody knew him."

"When you interview people, if I ever got the nomination, if I ever decide to run, you may go back and interview people from my kindergarten. They'll remember me. Nobody ever comes forward. Nobody knows who he is until later in his life."

"It's very strange. The whole thing is very strange," he added.

If the American business magnate wants the Republican nomination then he may need support from the birthers. A recent PPP poll found that a majority of Republican voters don't believe Obama was born in the U.S.

Words that could have come from any Republican circa 2008.  Or 2009.  Or 2010.  Or 2011 for that matter.  Trump is just the latest to drink the birther Kool-Aid.  Anyone who will be making a serious run in 2012 for the GOP nomination will have to deal with the fact that Republicans are birthers, although I still feel that most of the non-believers are mouthing the words to cover up good old-fashioned "He's not one of us" racism.

I'm not sure which is worse, frankly.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails