Friday, March 4, 2011

The Glass Ceiling Is Still Firmly In Place

(CNN) -- The earnings gap between men and women has narrowed, but a new White House report shows that on average women still only make about 75% as much as their male counterparts.

The report released Tuesday shows that women have not only caught up with men in college attendance but in fact have surpassed them, yet that gain hasn't translated into the pocketbook. Statistics also show women are more likely than men to live in poverty.

I'm going to try to hold back on this, because I take it personally.  I am one of those women who showed up on time, worked harder and for longer hours, and got paid a fraction of what my male coworkers earned.  That's one of the reasons I am now working for the company I joined this year. 

It's still a good old boys club.  And I'm sick of playing the game.  When 75% is an improvement, we deserve answers.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails