Saturday, May 28, 2011

Minty Fresh

As I posted earlier, I have made the move from Ubuntu to Linux Mint.  It was meant to be a temporary move, but if things continue in this direction it will be permanent.   I'm still running some tests and checking for bugs (none so far!) and will have a few follow-ups.

Mint is Ubuntu-based, so the feel is the same.  What is missing are all the annoying things about the Ubuntu 11.04.  You can still control your machine, get your geek on, and enjoy a product that works right out of the box.  The look and feel is similar to Ubuntu (pre-Unity) but the differences are all positives.  The window and desktop controls are detailed and thoughtful, and you can jump right in and start working.  I have played on it all day long and it's only gotten better.

I have not given up on Ubuntu, but I am going to fully enjoy this phase of my Linux usage.  As I learn more, I will post updates.  My first impression is that this is a stunning cousin of Ubuntu, and they have managed to avoid the bloat and requirements that may cost Ubuntu first place in the Linux wars.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails