Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Blind Hope

I have spent many years following advances for the visually impaired.  My father lost his sight when I was a teenager, and I watched him struggle with daily activities and give up many things we take for granted.  Below I've linked to an article that centers around cars made for the blind (yes, you read that right).  The technology isn't quite there but the author does a great job of explaining what they have accomplished and what surprisingly few obstacles are left.  Not only will this open a world of opportunities for transportation, it is the beginning of a unified way to use technology to assist blind citizens with responding to the world.  From improved security to getting around independently, this type of effort will someday be recognized for the groundbreaking changes that are surely to follow.



Sighted people, myself included, do it every day and take it for granted. Unfortunately, because of physical challenges, not everyone has the privilege to drive. My team of researchers wants to find a way to give the blind the ability to drive.
When we first announced that we were going to take up this challenge, many thought we were crazy, and most of the critics doubted that it could be done. Even some of my colleagues challenged us on the idea of developing a vehicle for the blind.
Regarding the capability of the blind, I believe that with the right nonvisual user interfaces, once we can deliver all the information needed to safely operate the vehicle to the driver, the blind can perform as well as, or possibly even better than the sighted. Mark Riccobono, the first blind driver who drove our vehicle on the Daytona International Speedway, is a better driver than I am -- at least with this vehicle.


It's a start, and a darned good one. Kudos to them, and a pleasant surprise. 
 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails