Saturday, July 23, 2011

Driving The Point Home


A Saudi woman whose imprisonment for driving drew global attention to the issue says she is more determined than ever to continue her campaign.
Manal al-Sharif, 32, was held for nine days in May after driving in the eastern city of Khobar.
"We won't stop until the first Saudi license is issued to a woman," she told the BBC in her first interview since.
It's easy to forget that in other parts of the world women have it far worse.  I could not imagine living where I couldn't drive myself where I needed to go, or marriage to a husband who would not support me in my independence.  As our world progresses by leaps and bounds this is a stagnant mess, a stain on our claim to be intelligent and evolving.  It's time for change, and each success should be celebrated.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails