Sunday, November 20, 2011

Gingrich Calls Child Labor Laws "Truly Stupid"

(CNN) - Newt Gingrich proposed a plan Friday that would allow poor children to clean their schools for money, saying such a setup would both allow students to earn income and endow them with a strong work ethic.

Speaking at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government, the former House Speaker said his system would be an improvement on current child labor laws, which he called "truly stupid."

"It is tragic what we do in the poorest neighborhoods, entrapping children in child laws which are truly stupid," Gingrich said. "Saying to people you shouldn't go to work before you're 14, 16. You're totally poor, you're in a school that's failing with a teacher that's failing."

So, I actually see where he was going and I feel dirty about admitting it. I was raised on a farm and I worked from the time I was old enough to handle the physical requirements. My childhood was pleasant enough, and I grew into a responsible adult with a solid work ethic. I had chores, and I had Big Chores, and I learned a lot of practical tips.

However, there is a lot wrong with the actual application of his suggestion. Children are going to learn a leaner and harder lifestyle than the generation before them. However, child labor laws are far from stupid, and it is shameful to imply that exploitation of children is not a real threat. Once upon a time that happened everywhere, and it still happens all around the world.

Learning responsibility is a good thing. A child contributing to the family is a good thing, through helping in whatever their abilities allow. However, there are liabilities and things not mentioned here, such as who is going to run this and ensure the safety of the children. It's a sloppy answer that wasn't thought out, and calling child labor laws stupid was the sprinkles on the cupcake of stupidity.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails