Tuesday, June 19, 2012

It Never Hurts To Be Prepared For The Zombie Apocalypse

Despite the recent bath salts attacks and general nuttery going on out there, I am really not worried that the dead will walk the earth.  Mostly.

What I do worry about is an act of war that takes out communication.  I worry that disease is going to run from coast to coast, as we see more antibiotic resistance.  Zombies aren't scary, but crowds of stupid people are.  For those who live in larger cities, you are just swimming in stupidity.  We have become a generation that seems short on practical, hands-on knowledge.  In other words, we are primed for a StupidiBlast of some sort to teach us a lesson in preparedness.

I'm not stocking a storage room full of toilet paper and bottled water.  I just like the way the aluminum foil hat makes my eyes, pop.  Honest.  But my husband and I have watched many a horror movie and chatted, and I realized last week that George Romero may have helped us define our national emergency plan.  Imagine if you had to be stealthy, clever, and in good enough shape to hike several miles.  Outrun enemies.  Live hand to mouth, minute to minute.  Most of us have never given it a single thought, and would be starting from square one if we were at the base of some catastrophe.

It was the basis of this that led me to write about zombies in the first place.  In my fiction, the zombies are background buzz, the really interesting thing is how people survive.  The miracle is that we actually do, at least in most cases.

Readers: do you do this?  Do you watch a movie or series like Walking Dead and think about what you would do?  If not, maybe I should just keep the foil hat on.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails