Sunday, June 3, 2012

Local Opinion Nasty Response

I normally enjoy writing letters to the editor, and I get the occasional e-mail in response from a reader who found my site.  Normally those are positive or respectfully disagreeing, and I enjoy reading the message and learning how my words are processed by people.  I've learned a lot about word choice and had some newbie mistakes rightfully pointed out in responses.  My time with the editorial advisory board was what converted me from 100% fiction, and gave me the blogging bug.

This time I got my first real hate mail. I don't know how many of our readers know Springfield very well, but it is both the best and worst of the Midwest.  It has the best in people, music and food, and the worst in racist, religious and gender intolerance from the other end of the spectrum.  There is open and accepted bias in many circles, and it shows itself at unexpected times.  In this case, hoping I am kicked in the gut with steel-toed boots.

When a woman spoke up in defense of gals and gays, it was bound to irritate someone.  You can read it here if you like.  It's a summary of everything I say here.  The comments are glitchy, I can't read them even if they are there.  Now that each comment costs you a free page view, they are scarce, which may also be why I got my first hate email.

A disappointing milestone, but I'll be happy that it was so long coming instead of disappointed that it came.  I will print it, frame it and put it on my wall.  I wonder if Bubba Wifebeater knows he made my day.  First of all, he heard me.  He got my message loud and clear, and I think my words will tumble around in there for a while.  Second, I will have a framed letter to mark the occasion.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails