Monday, June 11, 2012

The Spanx Made Me Do It

CNN wrote a trendy little piece denouncing Spanx as the worst thing for the feminist movement since Michele Bachmann.  The author goes on for quite a while about how women put down restrictive undergarments at a time when they picked up jobs and took a new role in the workforce and society in general.

(CNN) -- Adele, who won big at the 2012 Grammys, once told Karl Lagerfeld off when he said that she was talented and pretty but a little too fat. Maybe his words got to her.
The British pop star made news this week when she admitted to wearing four pairs of Spanx under a dress that wowed the audiences at the Grammys. Apparently, this was an improvement over her original dress that featured a built-in corset and in which she passed out when she tried it on.
Spanx is a line of undergarments that offers solutions for women of all sizes and shapes. You can target bulging stomachs, jiggling upper arms, aging breasts and any other body part that may need some enhancement. No longer an item of fantasy play or a secret amongst plus-sized women, Spanx products have become prized accessories flaunted by the Kardashians, Oprah and suburban moms.
So why blame Spanx for women's failings, and not lay it at the feet of women like Adele, who take a good idea and blows it the hell out of proportion?

Not everyone who wears Spanx is craving attention, or giving in to The Man.  There are plenty of Adeles out there, for sure.  There are also women who on certain days or with a certain outfit, need a little extra support.  When you aren't risking your ability to breathe, it's not this big dramatic failure.  It's an ego boost, and when kept in check that's not always a bad thing.

I've lost over ninety pounds.  I exercise, eat well and take far better care of myself than I ever have before.  However, until my arms respond fully to the toning exercises, a little extra helps my power suit fit better and reduce my self-awareness whenever I have to point or raise my arm.  You know, like when I'm giving a presentation in my power suit.  I'm sorry, I don't feel that I'm selling out women's ideals or sending us back to the kitchen by doing so.  In fact, the last time I wore that suit was to get a job.

There are real dangers to women in our society.  Unhealthy or ridiculous use of tools like Spanx is a symptom of a larger problem.  Women are still (wrongly) judged largely on their appearance, and I'm not going to pretend I don't see the author's point. However, women like to feel attractive, and that is the other side of this coin.  This isn't like foot binding in China.  When not pressured or forced, some women will just want that extra bit of confidence and there's nothing wrong with that either.

Maybe they should just change their slogan.  I suppose powerful women don't need powerful panties.  But if we want them, I don't feel like I should have to answer for my choice or defend that I'm not being suckered or forced into wanting gut control.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails