- Syria's ambassador to Iraq, Nawaf al-Fares, has become the latest al-Assad regime official to defect and join the Syrian rebels, urging the country's military to turn on the regime.
- 2012 is the Year of the Woman in Congress, with a record number of women, at least 295, running for federal office.
- The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is pledging to spend nearly $1 billion over the next eight years on contraception access to the world's poorest nations.
- European carmaker Peugeot will shut down a French auto plant and cut 14,000 jobs amid Europe's continuing economic crisis.
- The DEA has installed license-plate recognition cameras in southweest border states trying to record patterns of vehicles used to smuggle drugs, but privacy experts are appalled.
Thursday, July 12, 2012
Posted by Zandar