Welp, prognostication time again. Let's see if I can stay above 60% two years running.
1) No beating around the...well...Bush. Hillary Clinton will be elected President of the United States in 2016. I'll take the half-point if it's Bernie somehow, but if a Republican wins? We all lose.
2) 2016 in economics? Unemployment under 5.5%, oil under $50, and the Dow Jones will close above 16k. Yes, 2015 was the first negative year in the markets since 2008 and the Fed raised rates, but we were due, and I think the country will stay on track.
3) Movies, I see a good year for both Marvel with Captain America: Civil War and DC with Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice. Both will break $200 million domestically. How will Deadpool, Suicide Squad, Doctor Strange and X-Men Apocalypse do? Less sure about those, but they'll all do $100 million a piece. I'll take the split if I get at least 3 right.
4) Half-a-dozen massive Supreme Court cases in 2016 could change everything. I'll call it 5-4 that SCOTUS will side with the Obama administration on Texas's abortion laws being too strict...
5) ...but you can kiss Affirmative Action goodbye. Kennedy has repeatedly sided against it, as have the court's other four conservatives.
6) As with 2014's Sochi Winter Games, I predict the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics will be an absolute disaster. There is no way Brazil is going to be ready for this, and I expect the games will be a nasty, disjointed affair with barely functional venues.
7) I think it's a safe bet that turnout in the 2016 election will be under 50%. The last time that happened was in 1996 (49%) when Bill Clinton was re-elected and 8 million angry Americans turned to Ross Perot, ironically proving a major third-party candidate reduces turnout.
8) The Oculus Rift and other virtual reality headset systems will bomb. We're talking "Google Glass" level of bomb here. Ironically, the rebranded, industrial/commercial version of Google Glass will return in 2016 and probably do better.
9) The 2016 GOP nominee will not be Trump. Somehow, the voters will nominate either Cruz or Rubio instead, I don't know how but...hey, we shouldn't have gone down this far anyway. I'll hedge my bet and say that I hope he is.
10) ZVTS will still be here going into 2017. Here's hoping we make it through.
Have a safe and happy 2016, folks.