Sunday, January 10, 2016

Why We're Losing The Gun Control Battle

Because the default "landed gentry" mode for America is now guys like this writing letters to the Boston Globe.

So, to the angry liberal who sat next to me on the commuter rail: I don’t hate you. I don’t have any ill feelings toward you. I don’t wish to do you harm. And I don’t regret sitting next to you. On the contrary; I feel bad for you. It must hurt carrying that much hate inside of you.

You obviously have strong opinions about this hot topic. So, let me say this as plainly as I can: If a bad guy with a gun had decided to walk onto that train and start shooting people, I would have been prepared and able to use my gun to defend my own life and the lives of everyone else on that train, including yours. Although you may hate me, a gun owner, I would risk my life for you.

Opinions and ideologies make a pretty thin shield against the bullets of a madman. Your liberal self-righteousness and ignorance may have made you feel superior and comfortable, but during that 40-minute train ride to Boston, my gun kept you safe.

The "good guys with guns" always believe they are and that they will be ready, and that they have to be ready.  It gives them power to again be the guys "in charge" in a world where the rest of us have gained in the equality stakes.  It's a societal movement of goal-posts where the new "hero" is the person with the concealed carry handgun, and of course a modern update of "only nobles can carry swords".

Going through life honestly believing that you are so much better than everyone else because they are all losers compared to you is nothing new, of course.  But throwing a weapon capable of killing someone in seconds into the mix and the margin of error makes the consequences of overreaction a deadly mistake.

The asshole on the train packing can end your life in a moment, and they very much enjoy having that kind of power. It used to be that had some accountability as a police officer or member of the military to have that mindset, but we've made it easier and easier to give to Joe Blow in state after state.

Do you ever think we're going to take that power away from these armed maniacs?  The power to sneer at unwashed libtard masses and say "my gun kept you safe" with the unspoken threat behind that?

Not in our lifetimes.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails