Over the weekend the NY Times ran a story on VP Mike Pence readying himself for 2020 (or sooner) should there be a vacancy in the Oval Office. Pence couldn't wait to protest this, of course.
Vice President Mike Pence declared his loyalty to President Trump on Sunday and denounced a New York Times article suggesting that he was positioning himself to run for president in 2020 if Mr. Trump does not seek a second term.
“Today’s article in The New York Times is disgraceful and offensive to me, my family and our entire team,” the vice president said in a statement. “The allegations in this article are categorically false and represent just the latest attempt by the media to divide this administration.”
He added: “Whatever fake news may come our way, my entire team will continue to focus all our efforts to advance the president’s agenda and see him re-elected in 2020. Any suggestion otherwise is both laughable and absurd.”
Danielle Rhoades Ha, a Times spokeswoman, said in response: “We are confident in the accuracy of our reporting and will let the story speak for itself.”
The problem of course is that despite his many many protestations Pence is building that campaign machine now and not in 2023, for instance.
Mr. Pence has set up a political fund-raising organization, Great America Committee, and has hosted key figures at the vice president’s mansion, like Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council and representatives of Charles G. and David H. Koch, the billionaire conservative financiers. Last month, the vice president hosted Kelly and Joe Craft, coal barons from Kentucky.
A top White House official said Sunday that there would be no reason for the vice president to prepare his own White House bid because Mr. Trump planned to run. “The president says privately and publicly often, George, that he’ll be there for seven and a half more years. So he plans on being a two-term president,” Kellyanne Conway, the president’s counselor, told George Stephanopoulos on “This Week” on ABC. “It is absolutely true that the vice president is getting ready for 2020, for re-election as vice president.”
Mr. Stephanopoulos asked if there was any concern that Mr. Pence was running a shadow campaign. “Zero concern,” Ms. Conway said. “That is complete fiction. That is complete fabrication. And I know that his advisers who had comments attributed to them have pushed back strongly, as has the vice president. And as am I right now unequivocally.”
She added: “Vice President Pence is a very loyal, very dutiful, but also incredibly effective vice president, and active vice president, with this president.”
Lots of screaming, but Pence isn't alone, either. Other Republicans want a shot at 2020 and are betting on the Trump regime's disintegration. The rats may be fleeing the sinking Trump poop cruise, but they're stealing the lifeboats while they're at it.
You're nuts if you don't think Pence will stab Trump in the front (forget the back) if the opportunity presents itself and it looks like Donny is headed for Nixon territory. He'll find plenty of GOP hands offering him the knife to do it with too, if it means they hold on the country without the baggage of Trump.
Only six months into this term and we've already got Pence plotting. These guys won't make it, and when it blows up it's going to be spectacular. No, I don't think Trump will be impeached, but resignation is still possible.
Don't tell me that though hasn't occurred to Mike Pence, either...that is unless he's involved in this too, and there's a pretty good chance he is.