Saturday, December 12, 2009

Last Call

Matt Taibbi's piece in Rolling Stone on Obama's econ team has already drawn a fair amount of heat, so much so that Taibbi's come out to fight back on his blog with a lengthy (and Taibbi-worthy) rebuttal which he sums up by saying:
Again, I do absolutely admit to mixing up that biographical passage about Jamie Rubin. But the rest of these issues are not issues of fact but differences of opinion. I understand the argument that the fact that Obama happened to name a dozen or so people with ties to Bob Rubin to key posts does not indicate a conspiracy, and undoubtedly I left out a great many good things that Obama has done, even in the realm of economic policy. But it’s not my job to give equal time to both the naughty and nice lists.

It is my job to point out that many of the same people who bear direct responsibility for the financial crisis were given positions of great power in the Obama White House, and that in many important ways the Obama appointments represented a resounding reaffirmation of the status quo (I didn’t even mention the renomination of Ben Bernanke), and the exact opposite of “change.” One can argue about the extent to which this is true, but I don’t think the facts are really in question.

p.s. The Prospect writer argues that “the problems Taibbi tries to describe aren’t some ridiculous cabal” but instead “come from group-think and structural influences.” Correct me if I’m wrong, but this was exactly the point of the article. The issue with the modern Democratic party is that its leaders all share a world view that’s extremely narrow. They genuinely believe in Rubinite ideas, have grown accustomed to an incestuous relationship with Wall Street, and they probably think that the right people were put in charge. Their failure to look beyond their own “group-think” for solutions to economic problems is exactly the issue.
Which is dead on. Do read the whole piece however, where Taibbi calmly explains pretty much everything.

2 comments:

Paul W. said...

When your piece is titled "Obama's Big Sellout", I don't know if "calm" is the word I would use to describe the tone Taibbi writes in. Then again, I don't read Taibbi because there are plenty of other folks writing about the same topics without lacing their writing without weaving anecdotes into narratives that fit their world view. It is the same reason I dislike the MSM, and while it may be unavoidable I am a picky SOB about whose propaganda I listen to.

Zandar said...

For Taibbi it's actually calm, reasonable, and logical, almost painfully so.

Which granted, does kick it down to "normal" for everyone else.

Related Posts with Thumbnails