Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Man With The Goldman Sachs Guns

So, Bloomberg's Alice Schroeder has this story today, detailing how Goldman Sachs employees feel so hated that they are actually resorting to literally purchasing firearms.
“I just wrote my first reference for a gun permit,” said a friend, who told me of swearing to the good character of a Goldman Sachs Group Inc. banker who applied to the local police for a permit to buy a pistol. The banker had told this friend of mine that senior Goldman people have loaded up on firearms and are now equipped to defend themselves if there is a populist uprising against the bank.

I called Goldman Sachs spokesman Lucas van Praag to ask whether it’s true that Goldman partners feel they need handguns to protect themselves from the angry proletariat. He didn’t call me back. The New York Police Department has told me that “as a preliminary matter” it believes some of the bankers I inquired about do have pistol permits. The NYPD also said it will be a while before it can name names.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this, so taking my good friend Mei-chan's advice (Hi Mei-chan!) I turn to the guy with the answers on Goldman:  Matt Taibbi.
On the unfunny side: it’s never good when anyone buys guns, particularly not rich weenies with persecution complexes. Also, it might possibly be true that people have threatened Goldman bankers physically, which would really not be all that funny and would make me personally feel somewhat uncomfortable, although it would probably never be very high on the list of things I have to lose sleep over.

On the funny side, there are several things to consider. There’s the image of Goldman guys walking into Dean and DeLuca’s nervously grabbing at their holstered nines as they buy espresso and soy waffles. There’s the idea that some of these dorks might actually think that they’re going to forestall proletarian rebellion by keeping guns in their Hamptons beach houses. There’s even the impossible-to-resist image of a future accidental shooting of some innocent hot dog vendor on Park Avenue, followed by the inevitable p.r. response from Goldman in which the bank claims that the only thing its employees are guilty of is “being really good at shooting people.”
Works for me.

Then again, if the Goldman Sachs people are kind of scared of us peons, remember that we'd like our goddamn billions back and we outnumber you.

Thank you, and have a pleasant day.

1 comment:

Steve M. said...

Yes, we outnumber them, but we Americans are too fucking brainwashed by thirty years of Reaganism to ever defend our own class interests.

Related Posts with Thumbnails