Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Bite Was Worse, Actually

In the New York Times, Michael Shear hails Obama for thanking the Eagles for giving Michael Vick a second chance.  Vick did his time, and this was a public demonstration of forgiveness to those who have paid their debt to society.  It is not clear whether Obama knew his words would be published (though I'm sure he realized the likelihood).  The article praises Obama for speaking up on social issues, even awkward ones that may not benefit him.  I agree that this is a good thing, and Obama did it in a way that did not trivialize the seriousness of Vick's crimes, but focused on the positive.

Let me be perfectly clear when I say I am an animal lover.  I've sacrificed to feed and heal animals who have been mistreated.  My husband lovingly refers to our property as "Bambi's hideout" because I feed squirrels and birds, and make sure the bunnies have food in the winter.  I felt sick to my stomach when I watched Vick's half-assed-at-best "apology" before he was sentenced to do time.  But when he came out, he was different. Not a changed man, no complete reform or grand awakening.  But he had finally realized the seriousness of his actions, and showed a little humility and compassion in following interviews.  It's hard to tell truth from publicity, but it even appears he has gone above what was required of him to speak out about animal cruelty and make amends.  The self-serving guy who wasn't sorry, just sorry he got caught seemed changed.

Should Vick have a second chance?  Yes.  When you pay your debt, you owe no more.  I'm of the opinion that he owed more, considering the crimes he committed, but I also keep in mind that his crime was in no way relevant to his job.  If he had owned a kennel, it would be different.  Vick is where he should be, and Obama did a good thing for the social stigma of having been in jail, something that touches an astonishing number of families.  PETA will be ticked, and I can't say that I blame them for that.  In the end, this whole situation has shed light on a troubling problem, and I think the publicity from Vick's fall from grace did a lot of good for the cause.  Now Vick gets a second chance.  I hope for his sake that he makes the most of it.

4 comments:

JoyfulA said...

The best piece I've read on the topic. Thanks for your even-handedness.

Lisa said...

IMO..He don't deserve to get a second chance...I looked at that photo once and I cannot bear to look at it again..

Dallas Roofing HQ said...

Will you hold the meat industry to the same standards? They murder and torture animals as well. Chickens recieve particularly cruel punishment. oh well, guess it doesn’t matter because you can’t use that as a ploy.

StarStorm said...

Oh hey, our first PETArd.

Related Posts with Thumbnails