Saturday, December 17, 2011

Last Call

Gotten some rather pointed disagreement about my indefinite detention post today in the comments.  Good.  I welcome your discussion.  By all means, if you disagree with me and make a reasonable argument as to why, I'll listen to you.  I'm just screaming into the darkness without you guys.

My response to that is this:  As bad as this decision is, as bad as it was having his won party put him in the position to sign it due to an 86-13 vote in the Senate that a presidential veto would not have stopped, the other party's frontrunner really is showing a complete disregard for anything but the executive.

Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich is doubling down from Thursday’s Fox News debate on his vow to abolish federal courts if he disagreed with their decision.

According to The Hill, in a conference call with reporters, Gingrich indicated that it was in the president’s power as commander-in-chief to deem any Supreme Court ruling irrelevant if he or she in the White House disagreed.

The former House Speaker used the Supreme Court’s ruling against the Bush administration exceeding its constitutional authority in handling suspected terrorist detainees at Guantanamo Bay in 2008 as a basis for his extreme view.

“They just ignored it,” he said. “A commander-in-chief could simply issue instructions to ignore it, and say it’s null and void and I do not accept it because it infringes on my duties as commander-in-chief to protect the country.”

And either President Obama or someone like Newt Gingrich is going to be President, period.  All the wishful thinking about a third party is not going to make a whit of difference.  And of the two choices, I will take Barack Obama every time.  I do not like this decision.  I understand why he made it.  I continue to support his presidency over the Republicans who have at every turn demonstrated they would be far worse.

Period.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails