Friday, December 9, 2011

Why Yes, Cenk Is Indeed "Mad, Bro"

I actually am glad Cenk Uygur has his own show on Current TV these days, right before Countdown with Keith Olbermann.  It's good to have as many liberal cable news voices as we can, because those voices are critically outnumbered.

Having said that, it's terribly, abundantly clear that Uygur isn't going to let go of Rev. Al Sharpton's PoliticsNation getting his old slot at MSNBC anytime this century.

Responding to a reader poll on Thursday night, Current TV’s “The Young Turks” host Cenk Uygur suggested that Al Sharpton, whose MSNBC program “PoliticsNation” airs at the same time as Uygur’s, is a cheerleader for President Barack Obama.

The Current reader poll Uygur was responding to showed that 84 percent of his viewers believed he was not being too tough on President Obama. Making good on his promise for “real interaction” with viewers, Uyger defended himself and pointed to Sharpton as the alternative.

“If [Obama's] wrong about something, I’ve got to tell you,” Uyger insisted. “I can’t be like, ‘Give me an O! Give me a B! Obama’s great!’ If you want that kind of show, go to Al Sharpton.”

“Did I say that?” he quipped immediately thereafter, drawing groans and laughter from the rest of his crew.

Hey, I've been pretty tough on President Obama this week myself:  I completely disagree with his Plan B drug reversal despite the FDA saying that it's safe enough for over-the-counter use, and the US climate change delegation in Durban this week has been basically worthless on the biggest issue facing the globe, choosing to punt until 2020.  Those are real problems, and real disagreements I have with this President's policies.

Having said that, is that enough to make me run screaming to vote for Republicans in November?  Hell no.  Thinking these issues will be revisited in a second Obama term may make me a sucker for believing there's a chance they'll be fixed, but thinking the Republicans will magically turn into the party of environmentalism and women's rights after they win in 2012 is an even worse bet.

I don't think Cenk remembers that always.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails