Wednesday, January 11, 2012

In Which Bon Eats A Little Microsoft Crow

Listen up, kids.  I don't do this often.  My fingers bleed and my heart weeps at what I'm about to say: Microsoft impressed me.

Every time I utter the word Microsoft, I spit.  I make a satisfying "puh-tooie" sound to indicate my disdain.  Regulars know of my complete disgust, but I always try to establish a little context before I go on a Microsoft rant so my bias is clear.  I hate their business practices, I despise their ethics and I would love nothing more than to go the rest of my life without seeing that obnoxious logo.  Gates has earned my respect as an innovator and humanitarian, but the company is the epitome of greed and arrogance, and they have failed to deliver for more than a decade.  They have coasted for years on an advantage that was ill-begotten.  Puh-tooie, I say.

However, they finally did something right.  In a big way.  In fact, the inevitable death of the Windows grip on everyday computer users has forced the tech giant to explore new directions.  And by golly folks, I think they hit pay dirt with the Nokia Lumia.  I work in the industry, and I got a chance to test it for myself.  It takes slick to exciting new levels.  It runs smooth and fast, and is intuitive.  I loved the light-on-black color scheme, it was readable and sharp.  Nokia makes a hell of a phone, and they did themselves proud with this one.  It feels sturdy, the screen is liquid perfection, and it is a promising beginning.  It's not there yet but you can see the groundwork and if they develop it right we have a contender.  It maximizes GPS, merges accounts and services smoothly and is a simple, super-organized phone.  If you are an app junkie who likes to customize every aspect of your phone, move on.  If you believe simplicity trumps flash and you favor fuss-free efficiency, this is likely the device for you.

There are a few opportunities for improvement.  All cell phone performance degrades over time, so it won't always be this pretty.  Microsoft forces Bing, which is understandable but annoying for those who prefer a choice.  It lacks the variety and free options of the Android app market, which is a major negative for someone who is set in their ways (this is what ultimately kept me with my current phone).  Microsoft still shoots itself in the foot through an attempt to control the customer.  They still don't quite realize that people resent being forced to choose between one thing they like at the expense of having to accept something they hate.  

Considering Blackberry is floundering and iPhone is fast approaching market saturation, this is a good time for a major player to step in and shake things up.  Microsoft has had plenty of stinkers hit the shelves, but my first experience with the Lumia was good.  With work and a few lucky breaks, Microsoft may finally take a spot and do something new.  Nokia has a good reputation, and both bring their best to this treat.

LinuxAndroidOpenSourceTux.  There, I feel like myself again.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails