Monday, June 25, 2012

Follow Up: Mother Who Tried To Sell Baby For $25 Gets Prison Time

(CBS/AP) SALINAS, Calif. - A California woman who tried to sell her baby outside a Walmart is going to prison for four years after she asked a judge to lock her up because she'd probably violate probation again.
Samantha Tomasini, of Salinas, was arrested in June 2010 after witnesses reported that she and her boyfriend Patrick Fousek were offering their 8-month-old daughter for $25.
I remember the first time I read this, and how upset I was.  I was out with my husband, and we had just paid for dinner.  It was right at $25.

The stupidity of trying to sell a kid is enough on its own, but imagine what might have happened if someone had accepted the offer.  No decent person would participate, and that kid's future could have been another headline in a few months, one just as sad as the original.

The child has since been adopted.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails