Wednesday, June 6, 2012

School Blows The Call On Athletic Graduate

We have a story of a young man who plays football, and who has struggled in school and has set his sights for college.  Why in the hell would any high school withhold his diploma as punishment?

Apparently if too many people cheer for him.  I kid you not.

"Teachers, other students and other family members who weren't with us were also cheering for him also. He's well known," Traci said.
The excitement proved too much for the administration.
Instead of a diploma, Anthony got a letter from the principal, Marlon Styles, Jr. "I will be holding your diploma in the main office," the letter said, "due to the excessive cheering your guests displayed during the roll call."
"I did nothing wrong except walk across the stage," Anthony said. 

The school demands 20 hours of community service before he can graduate.
Those hours can be split between Anthony and his family, or the senior can perform them all himself. 

"I don't understand how he's being punished for something he has no control over," Traci said. "I just thought that was ludicrous... I have no clue where the logic comes in."
There is so much wrong with this I don't even know where to begin.  At best, this is a knee-jerk reaction by a school administration that believes it can order adults to perform community service for a little cheering.  Or a lot of cheering.  What the hell ever, since when is cheering education a bad thing?

I could not find mention of harm done to property.  No stadium stomps or crazy shenanigans.  Just cheering.

His mother called enough, and I back her and him a hundred percent.  This is insane.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails