Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Am I Crazy, He Asks. The Answer Is No, You're Just Stupid

So, The Consumerist is an awesome read just because you come across gems like this.

I'm not sure if I'm crazy for trying, or if Costco is crazy for not honoring their return policy…but your opinion will be appreciated. 
In December of 2006, I spent $900 on a 37" Vizio from Costco in Charlotte, NC. The TV worked great up until this week, when it failed to turn on. Knowing that I purchased the TV under their old return policy, which stated that I could return anything that I wasn't satisfied with, I marched into the same Costco today. I had since thrown out the receipt, but they were able to find the transaction in the system. 
For background…my wife and I spend thousands of dollars every year at this Costco, and I've probably returned 2 or 3 things. Small items; a pair of shorts or a shirt that didn't fit. Part of the reason I bought this TV from Costco was their consumer friendly return policy. 
Today, though, the front end manager told me that I would've had to return the TV within 90 days of purchase. I informed him that this policy change did not occur until February or March of 2007. He told me it didn't matter, and referred me to their concierge support number for assistance. I calmly but firmly voice my disappointment, and asked if anything else could be done. Nothing else, he said, could be done. 
While I would've been very satisfied with SOMETHING…a free year of membership, a gift card toward the purchase of a new TV, something, instead I received nothing. 
We've been Costco evangelists for awhile, but maybe no longer. 
So…am I crazy??

Crazy... perhaps not.  So stupid you survive despite Darwin's strongest evidence?  You betcha.

I cannot believe that someone would feel entitled to use an electronic product for six years and expect a full replacement.  Or in his deliciously specific complaint, "SOMETHING" was owed to him.  Consumer protection laws exist to keep us from being scammed, not to guarantee we only have to purchase something once in our lives.  Considering the number of hours the average television is on per day, 90 days is fair, 180 is above and beyond, and a year is unheard of.

The guy may not be crazy, but he's a jackass for certain and an idiot to boot.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails