Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Last Call, Republican Pendejos

Meet Pablo Pantoja.  He's the State Director of Florida Hispanic Outreach for the RNC.  If you're thinking "Wow, that's got to be an awful job" you've got something in common with Pablo Pantoja, because he just quit his job trying to convince Latinos to vote Republican in Florida and became a Democrat.

In his own words:

Yes, I have changed my political affiliation to the Democratic Party.

It doesn’t take much to see the culture of intolerance surrounding the Republican Party today. I have wondered before about the seemingly harsh undertones about immigrants and others. Look no further; a well-known organization recently confirms the intolerance of that which seems different or strange to them.

Ahh yes, last week's now-infamous Heritage Foundation immigration study suggesting those of Hispanic heritage weren't as bright as other folks.   That apparently was the last straw for Pantoja, but there's more:

The complete disregard of those who are in disadvantage is also palpable. We are not looking at an isolated incident of rhetoric or research. Others subscribe to motivating people to action by stating, “In California, a majority of all Hispanic births are illegitimate. That’s a lot of Democratic voters coming.” The discourse that moves the Republican Party is filled with this anti-immigrant movement and overall radicalization that is far removed from reality. Another quick example beyond the immigration debate happened during CPAC this year when a supporter shouted ““For giving him shelter and food for all those years?” while a moderator explained how Frederick Douglass had written a letter to his slave master saying that he forgave him for “all the things you did to me.” I think you get the idea.

When the political discourse resorts to intolerance and hate, we all lose in what makes America great and the progress made in society.

That's a hell of an admission from the guy hired by the Republicans for outreach to Latino voters.  He's basically saying that his job is not only impossible, but immoral as well.

Although I was born an American citizen, I feel that my experience, and that of many from Puerto Rico, is intertwined with those who are referred to as illegal. My grandfather served in an all-Puerto Rican segregated Army unit, the 65th Infantry Regiment. He then helped, along my grandmother, shatter glass ceilings for Puerto Rican women raising my aunt to become the first Puerto Rican woman astronomer with a PhD in astrophysics (an IQ of a genius as far as I’m concerned). Puerto Ricans, as many other Americans still today have to face issues of discrimination in voting and civil rights.

Regardless of what political affiliation people choose, my respect for some remains. I don’t expect all Hispanics to do the same (although I would hope so) but I’m taking a stand against this culture of intolerance. 

And yes, if I were Pablo Pantoja, I would have quit too.   I applaud his honesty and courage.  if only the rest of the Republican leadership would do the same...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails