Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The St. Patrick's Day Mass-Schock-er

And Rep. Aaron Schock (R-Downton Abbey) is resigning from the House.

The 33-year-old Republican has been dogged by questions about his spending of taxpayer and campaign dollars. On Monday afternoon, POLITICO posed a lengthy set of questions about charging the government and his campaign tens of thousands of dollars in questionable mileage reimbursements. 
“Today, I am announcing my resignation as a Member of the United States House of Representatives effective March 31,” Schock said in a statement. “I do this with a heavy heart. Serving the people of the 18th District is the highest and greatest honor I have had in my life. I thank them for their faith in electing me and letting me represent their interests in Washington. I have given them my all over the last six years. I have traveled to all corners of the District to meet with the people I’ve been fortunate to be able to call my friends and neighbors.” 
“But the constant questions over the last six weeks have proven a great distraction that has made it too difficultfor me to serve the people of the 18th District with the high standards that they deserve and which I have set for myself. I have always sought to do what’s best for my constituents and I thank them for the opportunity to serve,” he said in a statement.

Somehow I don't think Republicans will have too much trouble finding a replacement for him, Peoria's district voted 61% for Romney in 2012, and Schock himself got nearly 75% of the vote in 2014.

But still, the guy was clearly crooked and he's out of Congress at the end of the month.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails