Friday, May 1, 2015

Onward Christian Tin Soldiers

A group of far-right Republican "Christians" plan to martyr themselves by being mean to gay people.

No really, that's the plan.

“We will not obey.” 
That’s the blunt warning a group of prominent religious leaders is sending to the Supreme Court of the United States as they consider same-sex marriage. 
“We respectfully warn the Supreme Court not to cross that line,” read a document titled, Pledge in Solidarity to Defend Marriage. “We stand united together in defense of marriage. Make no mistake about our resolve.” 
“While there are many things we can endure, redefining marriage is so fundamental to the natural order and the common good that this is the line we must draw and one we cannot and will not cross,” the pledge states…. 
“Yes, I’m talking about civil disobedience,” Staver said. “I’m talking about resistance and I’m talking about peaceful resistance against unjust laws and unjust rulings.” 
That’s quite a shocking statement. So I asked Mr. Staver to clarify his remarks. 
I’m calling for people to not recognize the legitimacy of that ruling because it’s not grounded in the Rule of Law,” he told me. “They need to resist that ruling in every way possible. In a peaceful way - they need to resist it as much as Martin Luther King, Jr. resisted unjust laws in his time.”

So I guess this means they're going to what, disobey a Supreme Court order?  We'll see how far that gets. 

In all seriousness however, there remain a number of states where firing someone for being gay is 100% legal, so I guess they'll encourage that, I guess?  That should look really good on TV, a national pogrom against the LGBT community.  I'm sure that will persuade Americans to join them, right?

Good luck with that, bigots.  Bonus points for completely co-opting Dr. King's message of tolerance.
 .

2 comments:

Martin Pollard said...

If I could take myself back in time about 50-60 years, I could probably hear the exact same things being said about interracial marriage. Times change, the bigotry and hatred remain the same.

Horace Boothroyd III said...

Perhaps they intend to take a seat at a lunch counter and demand to be served, to protest the oppression of the Right Wing Christians in the South, or to organize the community in support of striking sanitation workers. That's what Martin Luther King used to do in response to intolerable injustice.

Related Posts with Thumbnails