Monday, August 10, 2009

The Old North State, Forever (A Bunch Of Idjits)

Via BooMan, it seems that advance numbers on tomorrow's NC Birther Poll shows a gobsmacking forty-seven percent of NC Republicans believe Barack Obama is not an American citizen and therefore not the legitimate President of the United States of America, another twenty-nine percent are unsure, and only twenty-four percent believe he is actually an American citizen.

Twenty-Four. Find four North Carolina Republicans. Two are die-hard birthers. One is unsure. That last guy is nervous as hell right now.

Readers may be aware of the fact I was raised in NC-10 in the Hickory area, home of The Odious Patrick McHenry (R-Birther F'ckin Central), and lived there for a good quarter-century. I can tell you with alarming honesty that if anything, that twenty-four percent number is probably a smidge too high in that particular Congressional district. It's probably less than 20%. It might honestly be in the low teens.

That is just damn depressing. Like I've said Birthers, if Obama's not the President, what are you gonna do about it? I'd like to know, so I can warn my parents at least.

3 comments:

Matt Osborne said...

I feel your pain. I live in Alabama, and the percentages aren't a lot better here.

Servius said...

And how many Democrats are truthers.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/Birthers-and-Truthers-and-Mike-Stark-oh-my-52222302.html

Unknown said...

Oh, how I weep for my old hometown. I mean, I knew Catawba County was no Haight-Asbury, but come on... *sigh*

Servius:
There's a *huge* difference between the ridiculous idea that the US government *performed* the 9/11 attacks (i.e. the "turther" stance), and answering "yes" to "Did Bush know about the 9/11 attacks in advance?" That question is is really too vague for a legitimate poll comparison. It could be interpreted as "Bush made 9/11 happen!". However, it could just as easily be interpreted as "Bush had warnings about terrorist attacks, and failed to follow up on them." For a poll, it's a terribly worded question.

It's disingenuous, at best, to compare it to an unambiguous question like "Do you believe that Barack Obama was born in the United States of America or not?" (from the Research 2000 poll)

When evaluating polls, it's always important to examine the actual question that was asked. Ambiguous or leading questions are indicators that the poll may not be as representative as it purports to be.

Related Posts with Thumbnails