Wednesday, November 2, 2011

When In Rome...

I'm trying really hard to keep my cool over this one.  I'm trying so hard that I won't even make the obvious jokes because it would distract me from my original rage.

A small, private college in Georgia has a new requirement for its employees: that they be straight.

Shorter University, a Christian Baptist school located in Rome, Ga., is mandating that its 200 employees sign a "personal lifestyle pledge" declaring that they reject homosexuality, premarital sex and adultery, WSBTV reports.

Shorter President Don Dowless told WSBTV that their goal "is not to offend people," but to "declare who we are."
Please God, tell me that this will finally bring workplace rights to the forefront.  No employer should be able to dictate how employees live off the clock, especially if it is participating in a legal activity.  Not ony is this way the hell over the line, it can be used against people.  Did John annoy you that morning?  Maybe you let it slip that he made a pro-gay comment.  Apparently, that's enough to put your job at risk at Shorter University.  If you choose to have sex, that is your right as an adult.  You do not owe your boss an explanation at the water cooler for what you do in your private life.  That's why it's your private life.

Argh.  I'm going to have to go hug kittens.  I'm so pissed I can't do anything but cuss and grunt.  See you all tomorrow.

I pray that they sue their asses off, and win.  This is so far beyond homophobic that I can't even wrap my mind around it. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails