Saturday, June 9, 2012

Three Gazillion Miles On The Odometer

The Car Talk guys, Tom & Ray Magliozzi, are hanging up their mics after 25 years.

On Friday, hosts Tom and Ray Magliozzi, known as "Click and Clack, the Tappet brothers," announced that they would be retiring from the popular NPR program in October.

"We've decided that it's time to stop and smell the cappuccino," Ray wrote on the show's website.
"As of October, we're not going to be recording any more new shows. That's right, we're retiring," Tom added, noting that "Car Talk" is celebrating its 25th anniversary on NPR this year.

However, fans will still be able to enjoy the show after the brothers' retirement. New "Car Talks" will be assembled from archival material, the brothers wrote.

They'll also continue their regular website column.

"Car Talk" debuted in 1977 on Boston radio station WBUR and was picked up by NPR 10 years later. It regularly ranks as one of public radio's most popular shows -- including the most popular weekend program -- with about 4 million listeners.

Many a Saturday errand trip in the car with dad and my brothers consisted of listening to Car Talk on the way around town, getting everything from mulch to paint to groceries.  Tom and Ray pretty much defined my weekends growing up.  My brother?  Manages an auto parts store now.  I blame these guys.

I'll miss them, that's for sure.  I still turn them on when I'm running errands myself on weekends.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails