Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Swing And A F*****G Miss

Network television stations have a convincing argument saying they are unfairly held to another standard than cable networks.  Because they are restricted by the FCC, they say it is impossible to compete fairly with the raunch of late night cable.  There is a perfectly logical counter-argument saying that some channels should be kept at a reasonable roar at reasonable times.  However, that side of the line seems to forget that shows can be ranked, and technology can help parents place filters.

So why not let networks have full freedom?  Somebody is going to appeal to the crowd control and keep it PG-13, it's not like bare asses and nipples will suddenly appear on every show.  The "kid-friendly time block" approach also makes sense.  It could even be done with forethought and parental blocks can be adjusted.  If you told the big networks they could have programming freedom if they found a system to filter shows, there would be an affordable option within months.  Ranking shows by content so people can choose and controlling the airwaves are two different things.  There is also the difference between images and word usage, as an F-bomb is nowhere near as damaging as a crime scene or boundary-pushing comedy could be.  But see, that's where they Miss It.  Really, what's in a word?

Oh cluck you, you freaking miserable beeyotch.  Stick it up your rump.  Seriously, what the fudge?

Is a logical adult going to say that the intent came out different based on my choice of words?  Is "freaking" so clever that it masked the F word?  I didn't think so.  Maybe we should teach kids manners and when it's appropriate to use those words instead of pretending they don't exist.  Perhaps we can finally grasp that it's what we mean, not the words we choose.  Do we think Family Guy is going to singe their little virgin ears?  Maybe parents should actually be involved in what their kids watch instead of expecting the networks to filter it to suit them.  Are we even going to pretend that the word "shit" has the ability to actually hurt someone?  Most important of all, do we still need an organization to decide what is appropriate for us to hear or see?

I guess what bothers me is that we spend an awful lot of energy dancing a stupid little dance, to impress nobody in particular.  We are exhausted, burning out, weary and frustrated.  In a thousand little ways, we spend resources appealing to a standard that doesn't really benefit anybody.  If you take their power away, these words of the devil don't mean a thing.  I've heard sweet people cuss and cruel people use flowery poetry to deliver their daggers.  Words are for communication and we own them, not the other way around.

It bothers me to see animals hurt. therefore I refrain from watching the Outdoor Channel.  It really bothers me to see certain types of crimes because I have experienced some violent crime firsthand.  There are certain times what I see causes me to flinch and even shudder.  Nobody ever promised me I would always be happy or completely non-offended.  I don't have that expectation.  I do expect that I can speak freely, not just so I can say the naughty words when the mood strikes but so I can be freed up to deal with bigger things in life.  By refusing to jump through the stupidihoops, I can put so much energy back into my day, and spend it on what I consider truly important.

Click here to listen to the Family Guy FCC Song and make Bon happy.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails